A rule automating the moving of emails from your Inbox to a specified folder is shown below. This is great for auto filing Notification emails for instance. For the purpose of this instruction let assume our folder structure in Outlook resembles that in (Fig.1.).
Fig.1. folders structure.
- Create a subfolder in your Inbox called "SYMNotifications"
- Go to the default Inbox folder and in the Outlook menu select Tools, Rules and Alerts.
- Click the New rule 3. Select the Start from a blank rule option, then select the Check messages when they arrive option and click Next.
- Check the Through the specified account option and click the specified link in the bottom field.
- A dialog box including a list of all defined accounts will display. Select the account for this rule (2.).
Fig.2. Selecting an email account used to receive messages.
- Choose the Move it to the specified folder option and in the bottom window click the specified In the folder browser indicate the folder to which the incoming messages will be moved. In this example it's the SYMNotifications folder you created in step 1 (Fig.3.). Click OK.
Fig.3.. Choosing the public folder where the messages will be redirected.
- Click the Next button to go to the dialog window of exceptions. Here you may define the exceptions to which the rule will not be applied.
- Click the Next The Summary dialog box will display in which you can also enter the name of the rule.
- In order to save the entered rule, click the Finish button and then click